Bachelor of Science in Coaching and Sport Administration
In recognition that the Jamaican landscape possesses several individuals who have been gifted with natural skills and abilities in sports, resulting in the need to train individuals to unlock the potential of prospective athletes. The proposed 4-year Bachelor in Coaching & Sports Administration Programme aims to ensure the talents of these individuals are effectively developed for optimal benefit. In addition to guarantee that these individuals are appropriately guided, those who coach them must attain the requisite skills and competencies to do so. The programme was specifically designed to train forward-thinking individuals with the requisites technical skills and competencies to become coaches to lead the next generation of athletes in the fast-growing world of sport.
The programme was conceptualized as a 2+2 model, the first two years (years 1 & 2 – level 1) of the programme participants have the option to be awarded an associate degree and the final two years (years 3 and 4 – level 2) a Bachelor in Coaching & Sports Administration. At the upper level of the programme, participants have the option to specialize in two areas: Advance Coaching and Sport Administration.
Considering that quality coaches and sport administrators possess numerous qualities, the programme covers a broad perspective of both coaching and sport administration. It is envisioned that graduates from this programme will be qualified to coach various sporting disciplines locally and internationally with a strong technical foundation as well as gaining adequate administrative skills necessary to successfully enter the field of sport administration.
Programme aims and objectives
The programme aims to:
- Promote a broad understanding of the Science of Coaching and sports administration
- Develop skills in coaching to coach in various sports disciplines
- Develop leadership in coaching and administration for the sport industry
The objectives of the programme are to:
1. prepare coaches and sport administrators with the knowledge and skills to understand the importance of sport to the well-being of individuals
2. provide coaches with effective strategies and techniques to coach various sporting disciplines
3. prepare coaches and sport administrators with the knowledge and skills to carry out administrative management functions in the field of sport.
4. demonstrate the proficiency and application of coaching and administrative management skills relevant to the sport industry
5. synergize scientific and evidence-based strategies for coaching
6. develop research skills in planning and implementing coaching programs
7. develop skills in evaluating athletic programs and recommend strategies for improvement
8. prepare coaches and administrators with the knowledge and skills to exercise professionalism in the execution of their roles as coaches and sport administrators
The requirements for entry into the associate degree in Recreation include Five (5) CSEC subjects inclusive of English Language, Mathematics and Physical Education or and Science subject at the General Proficiency Grades 1, 11 and 111 (effective June 1998) or their equivalent.
Mature Entry for the student in the associate degree
Mature entry is considered for applicants with training approved by the relevant professional bodies or with a minimum of two (2) years’ working experience in a related sporting area. Applicant must attend an interview and must demonstrate evidence of their capacity to pursue the programme of study.
Applicant may be required to submit of portfolio detailing their experience and work in the field of coaching or sport administration
- Integrate sport administration theory and practice into the sport industry
- Display an awareness of how sports operate as businesses to thoroughly execute given assignment.
- Coach various sport disciplines
- Exhibit leadership in sport coaching and administration for the sport industry
- Analyse, interpret, and utilize scientific and evidence-based strategies to coaching
- Conduct research relevant to the sports industry
- Exercise professionalism in the execution of their role as coaches and sport administrators
- Evaluate sport organizations from a legal and risk management perspective
- Apply communication skills relevant to a variety of contexts such as marketing, public relations, and business management
- Corporate Trainer
- Wellness Coordinator
- Wellness Instructor
- Personal Trainer
- Umpires, referees, and other sports officials
- Sport Manager
- Values and Respects Relationship
- Effective Communicator
- Good listener
- Ethically and morally sound
- Commitment and passion
- Resilient and motivating
- Critical thinker
- Organizing and planning
- Problem solving
- Respect diversity